Welcome to the Department of Recreation and Park Administration!
Our condolences to the family of Dr. Sheryl Stephan, retired faculty member of the RPA family. Dr. Stephan taught at EKU from 1973 to 1999. Her enthusiasm for the outdoors and the camp industry is remembered by all her former students and colleagues.
The Department offers a nationally accredited B.S. degree and a M.S. degree in Recreation and Park Administration. Students and faculty are engaged in classroom instruction, service learning projects, grant writing, and research. The faculty is committed and strongly believes in providing a combination of theory and experience to prepare and motivate students for successful employment in the field. The B.S. degree provides 15 credit hours of direct hands-on field experience. The senior practicum (REC 463) serves as an excellent transition from school to work and many students are hired directly out of their practicum. A career in park, recreation and leisure services enables students to have an impact in their work, in their communities, on the environment, and in the lives of others!
Student Competitive Advantage
• Portfolios required
• Service Learning Focus (26 projects 2012/13)
• Field Experience (REC 163-45 hours; 263-90 hours; 463-480 hours)
• Research Symposium
• Every class targets a CA element
• Professional Conference Attendance & Presentation
• Department is the #8 Longest Accredited Program in Nation!
• Student Professional Network System
RPA is committed to having our students compete well for professional positions in the field of recreation, parks and tourism services. For more information about the RPA Competitive Advantage, contact Department Chair Dr. J (email@example.com)
• Therapeutic Recreation has been named one of the best jobs for saving the world!!
• U.S. News & World Report has named Recreation and Fitness Worker as one of the best jobs of 2012!!
EKU Recreation and Park Administration:
Playing while working since 1966